Saturday 16 July 2011

Reflection on 15-7-2011

Katherine Lam (4A)


Today is the last day of our mathematics course. It is also our presentation day. We prepared for our presentations in the morning. Everything had to be done in a rush as we only got two hours for preparation. Luckily, our group managed to finish our script and PowerPoint just before lunch. However, we did not have enough time to practise. It made us very nervous.

After lunch, we went to the lecture theatre. Unlike what we did last week, this time, we had to present our project in front of the chemistry groups, mathematics groups, all academic leaders, mentors and school teachers. Our group was the first to present. Although we did not practise much the presentation ran smoothly and we could answer the question raised by Phil, our maths teacher. We got a certificate of participation and a badge after the presentation, symbolizing we had graduated from the course. We were so excited about having finished the course successfully but at the same time, it was sad for us to say goodbye to our mentors, who had always been so kind to us, helped us in our studies in the past two weeks.

In the afternoon, most of our schoolmates had to leave as the two-week summer course had come to an end. The campus became so quiet when all the STEM World students had left.

In the last two weeks, I learnt to manage time well as we got so many things to do everyday like having lessons and lectures, having evening activities and preparing for presentations. The experience of doing presentation was the most impressive. We used to have weeks or months to prepare for project presentations in Hong Kong and still felt that time was not enough. However, the experience of preparing a presentation in just two hours proved that we could manage our time better. In the following two weeks we will study different subjects. I will work hard to learn new knowledge and I believe we will have great time.

Ingrid Lai (4U)

Today is our presentation day again! This week, we studied Chemistry and our topic was ‘enzymes with apple juice and jelly’. Time was very limited, so we had to rush our work. After breakfast, Ella brought us to the computer lab and we started to work on our Powerpoint at once. Then, Barnaby brought us to the Reach Out Lab to see our jellies which have been left in the lab for a night. We then analysed the jellies to see if our hypothesis made earlier could stand or not.


The presentation began at 2pm. I was very nervous since we were the last group to present. Moreover, I had not practiced my script yet as I was copying my script onto my cue card during lunchtime. I felt I was ill-prepared for this presentation. Luckily, our presentation ran quite smoothly despite the fact that I sometimes spoke too fast and I read my script too much.

We then received certificates from Alan. I felt very honoured and emotional. I was proud of myself having completed the course, but at the same time, my friends from SPCS were going to leave in less than half an hour…

Still, we had to say ‘goodbye’ to our friends. We farewelled them one by one. It was really a touching moment.

At 6pm, we went to JCR for dinner. Yet, the staff said we could not have dinner there since the STEM World programme had already finished. As a result, we had to dine in the Eastside Cafe. The food there was quite delicious!

At night, we went to Harrods to do some shopping. We were amazed by its huge size! Everyone bought some souvenirs and Cynthia even became a member of Harrods!

In these two weeks, I thought I had changed a lot. The most significant change was I became more outgoing and eager in making new friends. This course was really fantastic as I could learn various aspects of Maths and Chemistry, have a taste of English life (for example, having traditional English breakfast every morning), as well as make friends from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment