Thursday 21 July 2011

Reflection on 19-7-2011

Katherine Lam (4A)


Today was the second day of the medical sciences course. Yesterday we had a brief introduction and we had some surgical skills training today.

The academic leaders set up some stations in the laboratory. They were about suture, key-hole surgical techniques, removing lipoma and surgical knots. We tried on every station and I had lots of fun. The training station of removing lipoma was my favourite. In the training, each of us had the chances to be the patient and the doctor. The patient had to wear a piece of fake skin with lipoma on the arm and the doctor would use the surgical apparatus to remove the lipoma from the skin. The fake skin and wound looked very realistic as there was some fake blood in it. I was the patient first. After observing how to remove the lipoma carefully, I switched the role with my partner. The task was very challenging especially when I had to deal with the tissue facing towards me. I found that dealing with blood was not that scary and it was actually quite interesting.

I think the medical course had trained me to be more patient and careful as it is necessary for all medical procedures. I enjoyed the course very much and looked forward to the remaining days.

Ingid Lai (4U)

Today was my second day studying forensic science. It was so fun! I worked with my partner, Alexansha, during the lesson. She came from Russia and she is fourteen. We learnt about nine different techniques in forensic science today. My favourite one was blood typing. We tested each blood type with different antigens, including A, B, and Rh. Then we observed the blood and checked if the blood gave a positive or negative result. I thought this test was exciting since it was the first time for me to handle blood in a lab!

We had an artistic evening today. We went to the Royal Albert Hall and watched Proms. It was an orchestra performance. The hall was extremely grand. The audience surrounded the musicians, making the atmosphere very engaging. This was my first time to see an orchestra performcance. My favourite part of all was the ending song of the programme. The song was very exciting which lured our attention. When the song ended, the hall was full of applauses. The director was being graced again and again. This made me become more interested in music, and learn more about English culture.

I really enjoyed today. I hope I could be more engaged in the activities in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment